Counting Drake’s Number 1 Hit’s
People often don't agree with me when I make comments about Drake being the best rapper of this time. I often hear rappers like Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar etc., are far better in the bizz. Now, I understand preference plays a big role in who people consider to be 'the best' rapper, but if you look at facts, we can see who really is on top of the game. Does preference play a role in my opinion on who I think is the best? Absolutely! There are people who do prefer Kendrick Lamar over Drake and that's totally fine. Though in my opinion, Drake stands out. I think I speak for a lot of Drake fans when I say I enjoy Drake's 'realness' and honesty.
One thing we cannot deny is the facts and numbers. They speak for themselves. In August 2012, being featured on 2 Chain'z hit single 'No Lie', he surpassed Jay-Z's record(9) for most number 1's on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Charts. Now I will not try to take away form Jay-Z's success, after all, Hip-Hop does increase in popularity every year, so that may play a role in Drake's quick rise. But then again you cannot take away from Drake's success either, numbers don't lie. In his 11(including the years he wasn't known) year rapping career, he's broken records that prove him to be currently the best. In 2013 he hit us with 'Hold On We're Going Home', adding another 'number 1' to his list making it a total of 11 number 1's on the Billboard's Hot R&B/HipHop Chart. Jay-Z is now at number 2 with 9 number 1's on the Billboard's Hot R&B/HipHop Chart.
Let's look back at all of Drake's hits:
1. June 27th, 2009: Best I Ever Had (7 weeks)
2. December 26th, 2009: Trey Songz Ft. Drake- I Invented Sex (2 weeks)
3. March 27th, 2010: Timbaland Ft. Drake- Say Something (1 week)
4. February 12th, 2011: Jamie Foxx Ft Drake- Fall For Your Type (2 weeks)
5. February 26th, 2011: Nicki Minaj Ft. Drake- Moment 4 Life (5 weeks)
6. July 16th, 2011: Dj Khaled Ft. Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne- I'm On One (11 weeks)
7. October 15th, 2011: Lil Wayne Ft Drake- She Will (4 weeks)
8. February 4th, 2012: Drake Ft Nicki Minaj- Make Me Proud (3 weeks)
9. February 25, 2012: Drake Ft. Lil Wayne- The Motto (2 weeks)
10. August 18th, 2012: 2 Chainz Ft. Drake- No Lie (5 weeks)
11. October 12th, 2013: Drake Ft. Majid Jordan- Hold On We're Going Home (5 weeks)
..and more to come.