Kennewick Fire Department Rescue Mother & Child From Burning House
It happened Monday morning at 2 W. Deschutes Ave., Kennewick, neighbors called to report smoke pouring out of a single wide trailer.
When firefighters arrived at 6:30 a.m. they forced entry into the home, which woke the mother.She then grabbed her baby and exited the structure. There were no working smoke detectors in the home.
The mother and child were evaluated by a paramedic for smoke inhalation on the scene, but didn't require any further treatment.
The fire had started from unattended cooking on the kitchen stove and fire was extending into the cabinets and wall. A neighbor across the street saw the smoke and called 911.
Fire officials say this event represents a close call. If the fire had not been witnessed by the neighbor, or 911 not called sooner, the mother easily could have been overcome by smoke, which was filling the trailer quickly.
The Kennewick Fire Department would like to remind all city residents to ensure you have working smoke detectors in the kitchen and bedrooms.
I know this is their job but my hats off to the here's at the Kennewick Fire department and the alert neighbor who called it in!